York City 0 Dagenham & Redbridge 0

By Footymad Previewer
Last updated : 16 April 2005
York City failed to score for the 19th time in 40 league games in an end of season stalemate against Dagenham & Redbridge.

Following the heavy 6-0 defeat in midweek against Carlisle, boss Billy McEwan made four changes to the side including recalling David Stockdale in goal and partnering the aged but experienced Steve Davis and Paul Groves in central defence.

Bryan Stewart started on the left flank and twice fired in low crosses creating danger, Paul D Robinson failing to get on the end of the first, and then Darren Dunning's snap-shot from 15 yards was well saved by keeper Tony Roberts.

City created a couple more chances shortly afterwards with Andy Bishop's far post header being taken by Roberts and then the keeper positioned himself well to take Levent Yalcin's 25-yard low drive.

Dagenham took some time to test the City keeper, but Scott Griffiths was unlucky to smash a far post shot inches wide from the impressive Glen Southam's searching cross. Dagenham's top scorer Chris Moore and City's top marksman Bishop both tested the opposing keeper with low drives just before the break.

On 53 minutes Bishop was brought down by Lee Flynn just outside the box. From the resulting free-kick Dunning curled a shot inches over the bar.

Roberts in the Dagenham goal made further solid saves from Dave Merris and Yalcin, both from distance, and then the keeper reacted quickly to clear on the edge of his area as Bishop raced through from an Ashley Vickers error.

Dagenham almost went ahead following a great solo run by Moore. After nutmegging Groves on the right touchline he then cut inside taking on more defenders before shooting from 18 yards with his effort striking the outside of the post.

The game opened up in the closing stages with both sides having chances to snatch a late winner. Stewart, switching to the right side, cut inside his marker and fired in a left-footed effort a yard wide. Then substitute Ben Jackson received Groves' headed flick but pulled his shot from ten yards wide of the target when he should have scored.

Dagenham almost scored in a late frantic scramble, before Jackson again was foiled by Roberts from 18 yards in stoppage time.

Trending on the boards