Dagenham & Redbridge 0 Farnborough Town 0

By Footymad Previewer
Last updated : 05 February 2005
Dagenham & Redbridge missed the chance to go fourth in the Conference after drawing 1-1 with lowly Farnborough.

Both sides were left counting the cost after missing a hatful of chances.

Daggers boss John Still was pleased with his side after a busy schedule had seen them earn ten points out of a possible 12. But Farnborough were well-organised and worked hard to grind out a point that helps them in their bid to avoid relegation.

The first half lacked any moments of magic with both sides struggling to create any good chances. The Daggers tried to break through Farnborough's back four but the visitors were dogged and were happy to thump the ball clear.

The visitors' desperate defending left the Daggers resigned to long shots from the edge of the box, and without the prolific Craig Moore they certainly lacked any fire-power.

For all their industry going forward the home side were nearly caught out when Lee Miles only had Tony Roberts to beat but somehow screwed his shot wide.

At the start of the second half Tony Boot looked to capitalise when Mark Osborn dropped the ball at his feet only for the referee to rule that the striker had impeded the Town keeper.

Perhaps the best chance of the game fell to the unlikeliest candidate. Dagenham's Ashley Vickers had only managed six goals in 185 games for the club but it was the centre-back who beat the Farnborough offside trap as he raced onto Danny Foster's 52nd minute free-kick.

Vickers had time to control the ball and pick his spot but slammed the ball straight at Osborn.

Farnborough also had their chances. Anwar Uddin was forced to make an excellent tackle to deny John Mulhern and Jay Smith's strike was well saved by Roberts.

With just 14 minutes left, Craig Mackail-Smith should have scored when he ran onto Vickers' knock-down but the striker failed to score his 11th goal of the season. Osborn then showed why he was voted last year's Player of the Year by pulling off an excellent save.

Dagenham threw everyone forward in the dying minutes but Farnborough stood firm, and even enjoyed their own spell of pressure when they won three successive corners in the final stages.

Dagenham were left frustrated while Farnborough will be glad of the point as they finally ended their losing streak.

Trending on the boards